Tumeric Powder, Organic - Pet GrocerRegular price $12.99
A powerful antioxidant, turmeric is anti-Inflammatory, used to treat and prevent cancer, relieve arthritis pain, treat IBD and other GI issues, and may replace allergy and pain steroids. Best used as a ‘golden paste’ made with MCT oil and black pepper for greatest efficacy.
Dogs Naturally provides a recipe to make Golden Paste at home for use with your dog:
- 1/2 cup organic turmeric powder
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups filtered or spring water
- 1 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup organic MCT oil or ghee
- Mix the turmeric with 1 cup of water in a pan. Save the remaining water in case you need it to thin your paste a bit.
- Stir the liquid on low/medium heat for about 7 to 10 minutes. It should form a thick paste in this time.
- If the paste gets too thick, add a little more water. If the paste looks watery, add a little more turmeric and heat it for another couple of minutes.
- Once your paste has thickened, add the pepper and oil and stir thoroughly.
- Allow the mixture to cool.
- Place it in a jar with a lid and store in the fridge. It’ll keep for up to 2 weeks.
You can add the Golden Paste directly to your dog’s meals by mixing it with some water or broth.
Here’s how much golden paste to give your dog:
- Small dogs 1/4 tsp/day
- Medium 1/2 tsp/day
- Large 3/4 tsp/day
- Giant dogs 1 tsp/day
This is a rough starting point, but you can increase the amount from there, up to about a tbsp for larger dogs. But you’ll want to give turmeric in smaller amounts a few times a day because curcumin leaves the body quickly.
May interact with medications; consult your holistic vet prior to using all supplements.